Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Explaining a few things & what not to post

Okay - I've had a flurry of typing tonight and have quite a few pages of the diary to publish, which is exciting, but I feel like I need to add a few links first and explain a section I plan to omit from the online section.
Checking the facts
Firstly, in the section just published, Uncle Bert refers to Australia Day 1917. When I was typing it I thought 'Uh-oh, he's made a mistake here' He joined up in April 1917 yet refers to forming the Guard of Honor for the Governor of South Australia, Sir Henry Galway on Australia Day, 1917.
.
.


As most Australians know Australia Day is celebrated on January 26 to commemorate the arrival of the first fleet to our country in 1788. It is a national holiday. But it wasn't until 1946 that all states in Australia celebrated January 26 as "Australia day" and during the world war 1 years Australia Day was held on different dates in different states, with it being on July 27 in 1917 in South Australia, and therefore, of course, Uncle Bert did not make a mistake... and he has again led me to research an element of the history of my country!

From the Australian War Memorial website:

"From 1915-1918 in South Australia, however, a different 'Australia Day' was celebrated. It was held to celebrate the anniversary of Australia's entry into WWI, and was used as a means of raising money for soldiers and their dependents, with proceeds going to 'The South Australian Soldiers' Fund'. "

Now for the ommission.

As I was typing the section where he was at the "Bombing School" I realised he was describing how to make a bomb. Even though it was quite an antiquated bomb it rang alarm bells in my head that I was potentially about to publish a 'how to' guide on the internet. After discussions with my husband I have decided that I wont publish those paragraphs... One day if the book is ever published you can read that section :) I can assure it doesn't really take anything away from the diary itself, but only further demonstrates how meticulous Uncle Bert has been in his recollections!




No comments:

Post a Comment